Founded in 1897, The Mayflower Society, or General Society of Mayflower Descendants (GSMD), is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Our national headquarters is on the campus of the historic Mayflower Society House in downtown Plymouth, Massachusetts. Membership requires proof of lineage from one of the passengers who traveled to America on the Mayflower in 1620.
Organization of the Society
The General Society is governed by the General Congress, the General Board of Assistants and the Executive Committee. A staff of 20+ at the headquarters in Plymouth, Massachusetts handle the daily operations of the organization.
The General Society of Mayflower Descendants publishes The Mayflower Quarterly Magazine. The Mayflower Quarterly Magazine is the official publication of GSMD and is mailed to active members four times a year. Electronic versions of The Mayflower Quarterly Magazine are posted under the Members-Only section at no charge.
Each Member Society holds their own meetings and activities where members can connect and socialize with other Mayflower descendants, as well as share family stories, pay tribute to the Pilgrims, and educate others about their shared history. Along with this, your GSMD membership includes:
- Official confirmation of your lineage and a GSMD Membership certificate.
- Storage of your family’s historical documents in our vault.
- Invitations to exclusive Pilgrim-related events and activities.
- Exclusive Members Only area of our website with reports from our committees, updates from our Governor General, and your own personal profile.
- Members’ gifts, jewelry, insignia, and grave markers.
- Opportunities to serve in local and national officer positions.
- The Mayflower Quarterly Magazine delivered to your mailbox four times a year.
- Free electronic access to the Magazine.
- GSMD Scholarship eligibility for Junior Mayflower members.
- Free tours of the historic Mayflower Society House in Plymouth, MA (built by the great-grandson of Pilgrim Edward Winslow in 1754).
- Free admission to the GSMD Research Library in Plymouth, MA.
- Special offers through our partnering organizations, such as a discounted subscription to NEHGS’ website AmericanAncestors.org.
- Information about GSMD-endorsed Family Society partners.
- Triennial Congress to gather with other descendants and make your voice heard.
- First to know about new research and GSMD publications.
- GSMD organized trips to historic Pilgrim sites in the U.S., Canada, England and Holland.
... and much more!